Thursday, February 26, 2009

METAPHOR 2 !Incubus- Pardon Me

Pardon me while I burst...A decade ago, I never thought I would be,at twenty-three, on the verge of spontaneous combustion. -Woe-is-me.-But I guess that it comes with the territory,An ominous landscape of never-ending calamity.I need you to hear, I need you to seethat I have had all I can take andexploding seems like an imminent possibilityto me.So pardon me while I burstinto flames.I've had enough of the worldand its people's mindless games.So pardon me while I burnand rise above the flame.Pardon me, pardon me...I'll never be the same!Not two days ago,I was having a lookin a bookand I saw a picture of a guyfried up above his knee.I said, "I can relate,"cause lately I've been thinking of combusticationas a welcome vacation fromthe burdens ofthe planet Earth.like gravity, hypocrisy,and the perils of being in 3-D...but thinking so much differently. Pardon me while I burstinto flames.I've had enough of the worldand its people's mindless games.So pardon me while I burnand rise above the flame.Pardon me, pardon me...I'll never be the same!Never be the same, yeah...Pardon me, while I burst into flames...Pardon me, pardon me, pardon me.So pardon me while I burstinto flames.I've had enough of the worldand its people's mindless games.So pardon me while I burnand rise above the flame.Pardon me, pardon me...I'll never be the same!Never be the same, yeahh!!

This song realtes to me theme and genre because the singers perspective on life is very pesimistic! He is talking about being young (23) and being on the verge of combustion because the world is a "burden" and the people in it play "mindless games". He wants to leave the world and escape from all the tradegy and harm it has to offer. The first metaphor in the lyrics are "An ominous landscape of never-ending calamity", he is descrbing what the world looks like to him. This line means he is seeing a landscape or never ending desolation and tradgey. The second metaphor is "Pardon me while i burst into flames", he says this because he is complating bursting into flames and disappearing, which is obviously impossible but he wishes he could do it to get away from the world and the troubles it burdens us with. The third line says " Pardon me while i burn and rise above the flames", this is a reference to a pheonix. A pheonix is a mythical bircd said to live 500 years, burst into flames and than rise from the ashes as a newborn. This metaphor describes how he wants to burst into falmes much like the bird, and rise above them meaning come out a new person, refreshed with a new start. He is coming out restored after suffereing great calamity. This is a really good metaphor because it's a comparison to a creature that the singer is jealous of because he wishes he could do that, unfortunatly it is impossible. Those are th eonly metaphores but they are really good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Acoustic Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones